TABLED: CALL FOR PROPOSALS
THE AUSTRALIAN CERAMICS ASSOCIATION EXHIBITION 2024
Peter Gilmore (Executive Chef, Quay and Bennelong), along with representatives from The Australian Ceramics Association and Manly Art Gallery & Museum.
ABOUT THE EXHIBITION
TABLED is an exhibition that invites potters to design and make tableware in collaboration with a chef, a cook or an artisan food producer.
It uses the terrain of the tabletop as a forum/place/arena to tell a story about the age-old relationship between food and pots.
Your proposal will outline your collaborative vision – anything from a high-end dining experience through to the service of tea or the celebratory presentation of fresh seasonal produce.
The TABLED exhibition will speak to the plurality of ways that food and pots enhance each other, and our daily lives.
The exhibition will also include large wall photos of the pots and food together.
TABLED will be presented at Manly Art Gallery & Museum (Sydney, NSW) from 19 April – 9 June 2024, and will be accompanied by an exhibition catalogue published in The Journal of Australian Ceramics.
ELIGIBILITY AND KEY INFORMATION
Current TACA members are invited to apply. The potter is required to be a TACA member at the time the TABLED proposal is submitted, through to the time of the 2024 exhibition. The chef/cook/food producer does not need to be a TACA member.
Twelve potters will be chosen for the TABLED exhibition.
The final work(s) exhibited will fit on a tabletop which measures 150cm x 75cm; h.92cm
The colour of the tabletop will be selected by the potter from these colour charts:
Successful applications will receive some funding support from TACA and Manly Art Gallery & Museum, as well as support from the curatorial team in the development of their work.
Proposals should include the following saved as a single PDF:
• Cover Page: please list the name, contact email, phone number and contact address of the TACA member (potter). Please include if the potter identifies as First Nations/Torres Strait Islander and if the potter has preferred pronouns.
• 1 page CV for the TACA member (potter).
• 5-8 images of recent or proposed work by the potter
• An answer to each of the following 3 questions (no more than 200 words each)
- 1. Please name the chef/cook/food producer who has agreed to work with you on this proposal and share the reasons why have you chosen to work together. Please name the include links to any online references to their work, eg. website/Instagram/articles.
- 2. Please describe the work you propose to make for TABLED outlining your vision of the work and how your table will look in the exhibition. Please include the ways in which you have considered relevant durability and food safety issues.
- 3. Please confirm if you be prepared to take part as a mentor in a possible mentorship program which would run in the 12-month lead-up to the exhibition? Please give brief details of any experience you have had as a mentor.
Deadline for proposals: 15 February 2023
Artists notified: 5 March 2023
Images of work due: 1 February 2024
Work due: 12 April 2024
Exhibition dates: 19 April – 9 June 2024
Logo design: Katja De Carvalho